Friday, October 30, 2009

The Golden Age of the Web

My favorite puzzle website just changed from free to pay.  I suppose the economy is bad for everyone, but this really discourages me.

It's hard to talk to anyone without talking about the recession.  I hear recent war stories of friends and acquaintances and how they have had to tighten their belts.  Very few will escape this economic downturn without a few bruises.

I love to work puzzles.  Sudoku is on my list, but I enjoy any number or logic puzzle.  My favorite site has 50+ puzzles they post every week.  So far, it has been free.  But now they are transitioning to a pay website.

Don't get me wrong - the puzzles are great.  But there is just something wonderful about how the web is a resource of free things.  Think about it - open source applications, open courseware from universities, free puzzles.

I recently heard a radio story about getting things for free.  A free meal tastes better, a free movie is more fun, etc.

I really loved Mind Aerobics (now extinct) and zone.com, which is kind of a source of online arcade games.  But I guess things are destined to change.

Now, except for the easiest puzzle in each category, I must pay about $4 a week to play the same puzzles I used to get for free.  Perhaps it is evidence of the passing of an era. 

Like my friend, neuralman, used to say 10 years ago about eBay - warning me that one day the sales would be taxed.

I will stop playing the games - not because I can't affort them (the economy is bad but not that bad) but because I enjoy the free games and I feel like pouting a bit.  And I suppose with a few less free puzzles to work, I will actually have a more productive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment