Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Faith is Like a Shark

OK, faith is not scary.  Faith doesn't have sharp teeth and keen sense of smell underwater.  But faith and sharks have a lot in common.

If they don't move, they will die.

I'm not a marine biologist, so don't get upset about anything that isn't exactly accurate about this fearsome fish.  But what I have heard is that for most shark species, they must keep moving in order to live.  I have heard that it has something to do with getting oxygenated water to keep moving through their gills.  No motion means no water movement; which means no oxygen; which means no life.

Does your faith keep moving?  Now with a shark, motion is a condition of life.  For faith, motion is the evidence of life.  James said, "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." (James 2:26)

In about every miracle that Jesus performed, there was some kind of response that either precipitated the miracle or that was a condition of it.  At the wedding feast, Jesus asked the servants to fill the jugs with water.  He told the blind man, "Go and wash."  The hemorrhaging woman reached out to touch the hem of Jesus' garment.

What does your faith move you to do?  After all, each movement we make is based on faith.  I believe there is food in the refrigerator, so I open the door.  I believe the weather is cold, so I grab my jacket.  I believe that the chair will hold me up, so I sit down.

Can others discern from your actions what you believe in?  Can they tell where your faith is lacking?

Maybe it's time to come to God and ask for more faith, deeper faith, new faith.  And then we can see that faith lived out in our actions.

A shark that does not move is dead.  And so is our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment