Thursday, April 8, 2010

Guest Post: Watch out for Traps (Life Lessons from Chess) by Paul Fleeman

 
This is a guest post by Major Paul Fleeman, Principal of The Salvation Army's College for Officer Training in Chicago.  It is part of a series that he has agreed to have posted on my blog.
WATCH OUT FOR TRAPS
Major Paul Fleeman

Key Bible Verses: Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. (Matthew 22:15)

In one of my early chess games I fell into a trap that is known as the “scholars mate”. It is a fascinating opening that takes advantage of a weak pawn. The end result was that I lost the game in no less than the first four moves. (If you know chess notation, the game went like this: 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nc6 3. Qh5 d6 4. Qxf7##)

This is a fun game to be on the giving side, but, not so much on the receiving side. The truth of the matter is, there are several ways to avoid this trap, however, you have to know what is coming and how to react. How do you get this information? You study.

One of the key ways to avoid traps that people may pose as you present God’s message is to first, immerse yourself in the Word of God. Study it with all your heart. An additional way is to rely on the Holy Spirit to be your guide.

My response: Lord, give me the desire and the discipline to understand your Word.

Thought to Apply: “Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (II Timothy 2:15)
Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment