Friday, August 13, 2010

Consecration - Real Consecration - Sealed Orders Part 1

This is one in a series of posts, sharing the Sealed Orders devotions, day by day, from CMI 2010.  They are based on the "Consecration Hymn," Salvation Army Songbook #525
-------------------------------------
When Queen Victoria of England reigned as Empress of India, the Maharajah of Punjab was a little boy. To show his allegiance, he sent her a magnificent diamond. It became one of the crown jewels and was safely kept in the Tower of London. When he became a man, he went to London to pay his respects to the Queen. The young man asked the Queen if he could see the diamond. The precious jewel was brought in and presented before the Indian prince. Then, taking the diamond and kneeling before the Queen, he said with deep emotion, "Madam, I gave you this jewel when I was too young to know what I was doing.  I want to give it again, in the fullness of my strength, with all my heart, and affection, and gratitude, now and forever, fully realizing all that I do."

Perhaps you gave your heart to God as a child.  But now you understand more fully what it means to consecrate yourself to God.  And five years from now, you will understand even more.

Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, said that the most dangerous prayer is only two words: “Use Me.”

The danger in that little prayer is the thought of taking our hands off the steering wheel of life and letting God decide our path.  Although it is dangerous, the only time I am afraid of is when I don’t trust God to do what really is best for me.

King David reminds us, “He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.”  (Psalm 23:3) 

But we still have a choice as to whether we follow Him or not.

Consecration means two things: to be set apart from something, and to be set apart for something.  Is there something that you are reluctant to let go of so that God can have all of you? 

At this stage of your life, are you ready, once again, to give yourself fully to God?

During this week, we will discover what it means to be consecrated to God.

Pray that you will feel God’s love and encouragement as you consider once again giving yourself to God so that He can sanctify you.

1 comment:

  1. With this as the first taste, I'm thinking these sealed orders could be useful every day of the year. Perhaps, God is calling you to write a devotional. I'm just sayin'!

    Thanks for the Maharajah story and excellent food for thought and soul.

    ReplyDelete