Monday, March 1, 2010

Build Your Faith Muscle

Faith moves.

Reading the great faith chapter, Hebrews 11, I notice that everyone who had faith did something as a result.  Almost all of Jesus' miracles involved human action or decision.

I remember John Maxwell talking about faith.  He used this acrostic to create a helpful, brief definition:
  • F - Forward
  • A - Action
  • I - Inspired
  • T - Through
  • H - Him
Years ago, when I was a student in Evangelism Explosion  at my local Salvation Army, I heard Anne talking about exercising your faith muscle.  At that time, she was talking about sharing her testimony.  She was talking about sharing the Gospel.

I am living out my faith right now by honoring commitments I made to myself at the beginning of the year.  These "New Year's Resolutions" include exercise, writing and reading.  Because I believe (faith) that these activities (action) will make me a better, healthier, spiritually stronger person, I continue doing them.

I wonder what else God wants me to do - what my faith will call me to put into practice.

Here are some steps that have been helpful to me:
  1. What do I believe?  Determine where your faith is.  Maybe you need to spend some time here developing a foundation of life-transforming faith.  The Bible says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)  Settling this issue in your life will make the biggest difference to you.  It will be the foundation for all your actions and decision-making.
  2. What activities will support my belief?  Some activities, while fun, are really not representing your faith.  Don't get me wrong - part of my faith builds rest and fun into life, but there are some activities that are really distractions or downright destructive to my life.  Carefully choose how you spend your time in order to gain ground - not lose it.
  3. What is reasonable to do now?  I have been the victim of my own unreasonable goals.  Set some targets that will change your life gradually to your belief system, not discourage you. 
  4. Start doing something.  Just do something different in your life.  When you see how your faith works in small ways, you will be encouraged to take bigger steps.
  5. Don't let previous failures hold you back.  There are few things more deflating than missing a goal you set for yourself.  We all have missed the mark in the past.  Just pick yourself up, set a new goal, and start moving.
  6. Talk about your faith.  This doesn't mean making a nuisance of yourself, but it does mean being ready to tell others why you are doing what you are doing.  Let people around you know what your new motivation is.
  7. Find others who share your faith.  This "support system" approach means that you need to find other people who believe the same things and are moving in the same direction.  It's like having a running partner who moves at the same pace.  You enjoy the time even more, and you are less likely to give up along the way.  Caution:  You may find it difficult to find people who take action on their faith even in your local congregation.  But keep looking - there are like-minded people out there, and they are worth the time to hunt them down.
I don't know how you are doing on  your New Year's Resolutions, but frankly, I don't care.  And neither should you.  The only thing that matters is what you are doing starting today.

So get out there and start flexing your faith muscle.  It will get stronger and stronger.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment