Monday, March 29, 2010

More War, Less Cry - Part 1

[Photographer: Ian Kahn]

Several years ago, my daughters took karate classes.  So cute - about 20 elementary school kids taking their defensive stance on the mat.  I learned a lot by watching the Sensei in action.  Many of the things I use while teaching young bands I learned by watching my kids in karate class. 

One of the things I heard the Sensei (now Shihan Gary Hellman) teach about using a "Kiai," which can be loosely translated from Japanese to be a battle cry.  Here's what wikipedia.org says about "Kiai":  

The term commonly refers to a short yell before or during a strike or technique.

The kiai can be used to:
  • prime oneself for combat, by "amping up."
  • protect the upper body from a strike by providing an escape route for exhaled air.
  • protect the lower body by rapidly contracting the transverse abdominals and other core muscles, shielding the internal organs.
  • provide solid abdominal support for striking techniques.
  • startle and demoralize actual or potential adversaries -- especially at close quarters, or if previously unobserved.
A quick search for "War Cry" or "Battle Cry" in the Bible (NIV) brings up a total of twelve results. It seems like the ancient Israelites used it in a similar way.  As a militant people, they used many techniques to give them an advantage in battle, some inspired from the Lord himself.

The question that I ask you (and me) today, and I will explore through the scripture this week, is about your use of the war cry.  Are you using the battle cry without the follow-through?  Are you engaging in more crying or more war?

From my perspective, there is a battle to be fought; a war to be won in our spiritual walks.  Is it possible that we could be going through the motions without having any effect on our personal victory or the world around us?  Do we put on our uniforms and go to church; even serve others without power in our lives?  Is it all about the show, the drill and not about the real victory?  Do we talk about the death blow to sin without actually dealing it?

Stick with me this week, and I will do my best to explore this topic from the Old Testament.  See you tomorrow!

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment