Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Follow Your Heart - Good Advice from the #Bachelor?

I keep thinking about "The Bachelor".  I guess it really shook me up - all that honesty and everything.
Something stuck with me that Jake kept saying in the show - "I just have to follow my heart."  Sounds so romantic.  

Maybe you have said something like it before.  "I did it because I felt like it."  "My heart wasn't in it anymore."  
I am guilty of saying these things too.  Very treacherous words.

Actually, it's a convenient excuse.  A cover-up for selfishness.

It also ended up a way for Jake to explain his choice of fiance without hurting feelings or taking responsibility (or so he thought).

In reality, while following one's heart sounds like a good decision making strategy, it ends up being poor theology.

After all, the heart is fickle.  If we followed our heart at every turn, we'd end up with a new romance every month, regardless of marriage commitment.  I heard recently that those who contact an "old flame" after getting married are 18 times more likely to have it end in an extra-marital affair.

Please don't follow your heart.

The Bible says,
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6
In other words, don't trust your heart - trust God.  The heart changes.  Our feelings will lead us in a different direction each day.

Again, it says,
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." - Colossians 3:1-2
God invites us to set our hearts on Him and His ways.  How generous, when we understand what a poor track record we have following our heart.

The heart is a good follower; not a good leader.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment