Thursday, March 11, 2010

Guest Post: Take the Land (Life Lessons from Chess) by Paul Fleeman

 
This is a guest post by Major Paul Fleeman, Principal of The Salvation Army's College for Officer Training in Chicago.  It is part of a series that he has agreed to have posted on my blog.
TAKE THE LAND
Major Paul Fleeman

Key Bible Verses: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28: 19-20)

A chess board is made up of 64 squares. One of the goals of the game is to spread as much influence as you can over the board with your chess pieces. It goes without saying, if you control more than half of the squares, you have an advantage. If that advantage is enduring, you have greater potential for winning. You have to look into the future a bit.

As Christians, we have received a mandate to spread Christ’s sphere of influence everywhere possible, encouraging others to become disciples. That sphere of influence becomes enduring as we practice what we have been taught with the full understanding that Christ will be with us to the very end.

My response: Lord, today show me someone I can help take one step closer in becoming a disciple.

Thought to Apply: “Put your ear down to the Bible, and hear Him bid you go and pull sinners out of the fire of sin.”  (William Booth)

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment