Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More War, Less Cry - Part 2 - Goliath's Stand



Photo credit: kconnors from morguefile.com

Going through the motions.  That gets tiring doesn't it?  Do you ever ask, "When are we ever going to stop practicing and to start doing?"

Don't get me wrong.  I believe in preparation and practice.  I am a musician and have taught musicians.  I know the value of rehearsal and practice. 

But there is a time to stop going through the motions and to start doing.

Unfortunately, King Saul's army was stuck in a rut.  Now bear with me as I jump around 1 Samuel 17.  It's a famous story.  Every child who has gone to Sunday School know the end.  But I want to dwell on some of the preliminary details, and especially as they relate to the difference between being prepared for battle and actually going into battle.

The whole idea was an economy of lives.  If a battle could be decided by pitting the best soldier from each of the two armies, a lot of lives and blood could be spared.  Sounds like a good idea, but the Philistines had a secret weapon.  His name was Goliath, which literally means "the giant from Gath."  With Goliath taking his stand, no one from the Israelite army dared meet him on the field of battle alone.

And yet hope and determination (and preparation) reigned supreme.  Verse 20 says that the Israelite army responded to Goliath's challenge by "going out to its battle positions, shouting the war cry."  But verse 16 tells us that "For forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and evening and took his stand." 

If my math is right, that means that the Israelites ran their drills eighty times without actually engaging the enemy.  In fact, verse 24 says, "When the Israelites saw the man, they all ran from him in great fear." 

I don't mean to be critical, but I'm wondering what kind of value was gained in taking battle positions and shouting the War Cry only to give up each time.  I want to reach through history and like Dr. Phil, ask, "Well, how is that working for you?"

Another question - do you think the Israelites had more or less courage on their 80th drill than their first time shouting the War Cry? 

Many people who claim to follow Jesus are leading defeated lives.  We go through the motions, put on our uniforms, take our battle positions and even shout the War Cry.  But who is going to step forward and face the enemy?  Who is going to go into battle - not merely to march around, but to fight and defeat the challenging giant?

Please realize that I am asking myself the same questions - I have my fair share of "shaking in the boots" moments, and even "running in fear" moments.

All I am saying is that it's time to do more than just shouting the War Cry.  Maybe it's even time to dispense with the cry altogether.  After all, as I examine 1 Samuel 17, I don't hear David shouting at Goliath, only talking to him (vv 45-47), describing in detail what he was planning on doing to the one who defied God.

Something or someone is defying the God of your life today.  Will you just shout the War Cry, or run up to face your adversary in battle?

Then you can declare, just like David did in verse 47:
All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment