Friday, March 5, 2010

Seeing God's Plan in #Earthquakes

There have been a lot of earthquakes in the news lately.  Much confusion, devastation and death.  And a lot of speculation and questions about what God is up to in the midst of this calamity.

So I did a little research about earthquakes in the Bible.  Here's what I found:
  • Earthquakes are nothing new.  Earthquakes have been recorded since sin entered the world.  Be careful about coming to a conclusion - while suffering is all a result (directly or indirectly) of sin, don't conclude that a certain sin or one person's disobedience cause these things.  We live in a broken world, and suffering is a natural part of it.  Therefore, we can't blame a disaster on God's judgment on a specific sin.  God is holding His judgment and wrath until the last day.
  • Earthquakes can be an indication of God's presence, power and wrath (see Isaiah 29:6).  But not always. In fact, when God was getting ready to speak to Elijah, the wind, earthquake and fire came, but God was not in them.  He spoke in a still, small voice. (I Kings 19:11-13).
  • Earthquakes were evident during the death and resurrection event of Jesus (Matthew 27:51-54).  It was clear that something more dramatic and powerful was happening than the death and resurrection of one man.  In fact, Jesus was conquering sin and death for you and me!
  • Earthquakes will be a feature of God's judgment at the end of the world.  (see Revelation 11:13, Revelation 11:19 and Revelation 16:18)
 Here are some of my thoughts about earthquakes that hopefully will bring you some encouragement:
  • God isn't causing the earthquakes.  In fact, I believe that His prevenient grace (a fancy term for God's protection over us) is protecting us, not only from the severity of earthquakes that occur, but also from other calamities that would come without God's protection.
  • Earthquakes provide an opportunity for us to serve each other and share God's love.  In many disasters I have heard about, there are stories of selfless service and heroism on behalf of complete strangers.  Let us hear an announcement of a disaster as a call to be the hands and feet of Jesus in a hurting world.
  • Disasters remind us of our mortality and our need for God.  In an uneventful day-to-day life, it's easy to lose sight of the eternal.  It's in times of loss and uncertainty that cause people to wonder about the eternal and to turn their hearts to God.
  • There will be a time when pain and suffering will be over.  Disasters help us remember that this world is not the end - we have heaven to look forward to.  The Apostle John wrote this:  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."  (Revelation 21:3-4)
OK, OK.  I don't have all the answers.  But God does.  And when I hear about an earthquake, I trust Him all the more to use me to care for those around me and to provide a safe place for me in heaven.  I am thankful for every day that I have on earth to spend time with family and friends, but I know that this isn't the end.  It is just the beginning, and I have chances now to share God's love with those around me.

Earthquakes just move me to be more faithful.

Maybe the news of an earthquake can help open the door for God's message.

Are you ready to hear His voice?

Are you ready to tell someone else?

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment