Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Always Perseveres


In the Love Chapter of First Corinthians, Paul tells us that love "always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Cor 13:7)

As I meditate on that verse, I envision a child who is learning to walk.  For a while, he holds onto furniture as he navigates the room, confined to the narrow path around something - anything - to hold onto.  The coffee table provides protection for him until he is steady enough to take a step on his own.  Eventually, his trust and hope prevail (with a little help from Mom and Dad), and then the whole room is his.  Which means that fragile objects need to be relocated a little higher, baby-proofing the house to a new level.

As I get closer to what Paul is saying, I feel stronger that love is like a bridge - it connects.  Especially in situations that seem hopeless, love is able to break through and make a connection where none was before.

I had a small run-in with a neighbor.  Nothing big, but it had big potential.  Potential to be a big fight.  Potential to form a strong relationship.

Does that mean that where there is no division, there is no love?  What is the opposite of love?  

As I anticipated the next encounter with the neighbor, I was tense.  I was tempted to allow a rift to create greater separation between us.


The Apostle John explains, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

The opposite of love is fear.

I was experiencing fear.  And if I let fear rule me, there would be tension on our street because fear divides us.

Does fear keep you from connecting with those around you?  It does for all of us.

As I finally met with our neighbor, I decided to find ways to connect with them.  If found a lot that we had in common - our kids went to the same high school, we both have two dogs, and on it goes. 

Are you stuck at the edges of the room in your relationships?  Are you letting fear keep people at arms' length?  Maybe it's time to let love - God's love - rule in your life.  Love will drive out fear and allow you, even inspire you, to connect with others.

Love always perseveres.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:
  1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
  2. "Follow" me on twitter.  It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends.  My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
  3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
  4. Tell someone else about this blog.  There is a "Share" link to help you do that.
Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment