Thursday, February 25, 2010

Guest Post: The Ultimate Focus (Life Lessons from Chess) by Paul Fleeman

 
This is a guest post by Major Paul Fleeman, Principal of The Salvation Army's College for Officer Training in Chicago.  It is part of a series that he has agreed to have posted on my blog.
THE ULTIMATE FOCUS
Major Paul Fleeman

Key Bible Verses: God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen. (I Timothy 6:15-16)

Chess is a fascinating game that has been around for at least 1,200 years.  Since the Medieval times, the pieces have taken on interesting symbolisms such as:
  • the pawn – the foot soldier;
  • the castle – a place of safety;
  • the knight – a leader and protector;
  • the bishop – a spiritual advisor;
  • the queen – the most active and second in command;
    and of course the king – everything is centered on him. Losing the king is losing the game.
For a Christian, the ultimate focus is what is at the top of the king’s crown.  That is the cross. It is a symbol of sacrifice, of our salvation, and our promise of eternal life. All of this made possible by God’s Son, Jesus Christ.

My response: Lord, show me what I can do to lift up Christ and His sacrifice, to those I may talk to today.

Thought to Apply: As I consider my faith journey moves, may my ultimate focus be on the King of kings and the Lord of lords.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. So simple, so true. Stay Focused.

    My cost accounting teacher had a poster on his wall I always remembered "Obstacles are what get in the way when we loss sight of our goal"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne,

    This is profound. Thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad you are enjoying reading Paul's guest post. As long as he provides them, the "Life Lessons from Chess" will be a regular Thursday feature on my blog. I appreciate him sharing his thoughts with us.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete