Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You Forgot What?


OK, so I'm a forgetful person.  I will walk into a room, knowing I was going in search of something but can't remember what I was going in after.  Very frustrating to me and others.

My wife Beth was going through some journal entries I was making while I was a Cadet in training over 20 years ago.  One field training Sunday back then, I was scheduled to preach.  The way it worked back then was that I was assigned months in advance.  I was to submit, one at a time, a proposal for a Bible passage, a Bible Study, a short sermon outline, an extended (I used to day distended) outline, and a manuscript.  After several weeks expired and trees suffered from the paper usage, I was ready (or so I thought) to stand up in the pulpit with my manuscript.  To make matters worse, the field training officer (who was and is still a very nice person) was sitting in the back of the congregation with a grading sheet and the manuscript, giving a grade and constructive criticism on my sermon delivery.

I traveled with my brigade to the location, a two-hour drive away.  For whatever reason,I didn't have my manuscript with me.  No notes, no outline, no sermon.  The adrenaline was flowing as I tried to conceal my oversight from the training officer.  I had a few minutes alone before the meeting, and took a blank sheet of paper.  I folded it in half sideways so that it would fit in my Bible.  From what I remembered of my sermon, I wrote a bullet-point outline in two columns, one on each side of the fold.

When I got in the pulpit, I was nervous, but I felt strangely free.  I was able to step away from the pulpit, look people in the eye or take a small side trip that seemed appropriate at the moment. 

That Sunday morning began what for me has been a regular system for sermon delivery:
  • I prepare my sermon in much the same way, except I don't create an extended outline or manuscript.
  • I take a piece of graph paper (I like the horizontal and vertical lines for lining things up), fold it in half, and write on the open side of the paper.
  • I write only a simple outline - bullet points and subpoints.  Any crucial points or quotes I will write out word for word.  I may also write the words to a prayer chorus on the page.  There are usually no mre than 200 words on the page.
  • I write the notes by hand so that my memory can better recall my thoughts from a glance at the image of my own handwriting.  Printing it on the computer doesn't have the same effect.
  • I fold the page and stick it in my Bible right where the preaching passage is.
  • During the meeting, a thought might come up, or an illustration that ties into what someone else says.  I will open the sermon up and jot down that thought where I think it will best fit in.
  • I open my Bible, put the notes next to the Scripture, and I am ready to go.
I am willing to admit that there have been several times since I was a cadet that I have lost my notes.  One time, I got up to the pulpit, ready to preach, thinking my notes were in my Bible, and they weren't.  Too late to do anything else.  I said, "Let's pray."  And God had His way among us.

So my encouraging advice to you is to wean yourself from the manuscript.  And I know you'll be a better preacher.
Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment