Friday, February 19, 2010

Preliminary Signup - Mentoring for Men


I am planning a life-changing event for me and eight men.  It will start September 2010 and will go for nine months.

The commitment:
  • Mandatory attendance and participation in nine Monday night sessions (roughly once a month), three hours each with me at my home in Des Plaines, Illinois.
  • Activities between sessions, including reading, writing and memorizing scripture
  • Humility - being transparent and open to new and challenging teaching in your life.  Also being willing to share your triumphs and defeats in order to help others in the group.
  • Final pot luck dinner session with spouses (Date and location TBA, Spring 2011)
  • Being willing to "pay it forward," mentoring another group of men at some point when it is appropriate in your life.
I will select eight men based on the following schedule:
  • Phase 1 - Gather email addresses from any interested in participating.  Giving me your email address does not commit you to the process or promise you a spot in the sessions.
  • Phase 2 - Applications will be distributed by email in June 2010 with an invitation to apply.
  • Phase 3 - Eight participants will be selected, invited and asked to agree to a list of commitments.  This will be completed by August 15, 2010.
  • Phase 4 - Mentoring sessions begin September 2010.
The benefits of being involved:
  • It's a finite commitment.  It won't last forever, so it is a more manageable commitment.
  • We will all learn from each other in an open, transparent environment.  The ability to be honest and hold each other accountable will be invaluable.
  • We will each be better husbands, fathers and church members.
  • You will be better equipped and encouraged to "pass the torch," mentoring other men in the future.
If you are interested, make sure I get your name and email address by one of the following methods:
  • Send me a Direct Message on Twitter.
  • Email me
  • Send me a Facebook message.  My screen name is Tom McComb
I am looking forward not only to meeting a new group of friends, but also to seeing what God will do among us as we pour our lives into each other.

1 comment:

  1. I have attended a similar style of group before and for me it was an amazing experience. When my husband and I were separated and both in counseling, our counselor suggested group counseling. It was an intense commitment (2 hours every week for at least 6 months - I ended up staying in for over 2 years) but the benefits of a space where you are expected to be completely transparent are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete