Monday, February 8, 2010

Other Voices

This is the 3rd in a series called "Making a Better Preacher."  
A long time ago, while I was in Salvation Army training, a friend of mine (Todd Thielke) introduced me to a tremendously helpful habit.  While he was on morning details, he wore a walkman (remember those?) and listened to sermons on cassette tape.  Technology has come a long way, and I mean in a very good way.  

More and more churches and preachers have chosen to "reach out" via the internet to find a congregation beyond the walls of their churches.  While it may be a long time before the typical shut-in has internet access and an mp3 player, it has meant a lot to missionaries who want a link with home, and members of the congregation who are traveling.

Now, it is a wonderful resource for preachers, and I'll tell you why.
  1. A new perspective.  By listening to other preachers, I learn a different take on passages of scripture.  For instance, I have avoided preaching on Genesis 22 - not because it's a bad passage, but because I am still trying to get my arms around God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  By listening to other sermons, I have heard how others have approached this difficult topic.
  2. New illustrations.  I can't tell you how many terrific stories there are out there that illustrate Bible principles.  Listen, and your imagination will be fed.  So maybe you won't use the same illustration, but listening to others will open your eyes to more in your life that you can use to bring theology to life.
  3. Preaching style.  Let's face it - there is more to preaching than just homiletics. Maybe there is a way that a challenge is delivered that impacts you.  Perhaps an invitation you hear is really fresh and convicting?  Listen to others, and your preaching style will grow.
  4. Terrific Sermon Series Ideas.  As I mentioned, I "borrowed" an idea from Mars Hill for Lent one year, when Rob Bell preached a series called "Out of Egypt."  There are some fantastic ideas that will give you a platform from which to build your own series.
  5. Feed Yourself.  If you are as busy as I am as a pastor, you don't have much time for outside Bible Studies or fellowship groups.  Listening to sermons can challenge you and make you grow.
Tomorrow, I will talk about how to get started, and how you can get a lot of resources for free using the internet.  See you then.  And keep listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment