Monday, February 22, 2010

Things I Forgot to Say on Sunday

 
It never happened to you, did it?  You get up to teach a Sunday School class, deliver the announcements or preach a sermon, and you sit down.  Then you remember something that you wanted to say but didn't.  When this happens, my reactions are varied.  Sometimes, I feel like kicking myself, feeling like I missed the best part, and now regretting that it's too late.  Other times, my faith tells me to trust God's guidance, feeling like maybe what I left out was better left unsaid.  

In reality, I need to lean more toward the latter, letting go of the moment and letting God have His way in what I say

At any rate, this morning I thought through yesterday's sermon.  I got in almost everything, but wanted to post one of the missing parts.

I was speaking about Faith, Hope and Love from 1 Corinthians 13:13.  I described Hope as a visual attribute, given by God to help us have an eternal perspective and vision as we trudge through life.

As I prepared the message, I intended to challenge my audience to sit down and write out their experience of God's calling in their lives.  Yesterday's audience was mostly people training to be Salvation Army officers, and I wanted to make sure they had documented their experience of the divine call in order to have it on hand when discouraging times come.

Having this written testimony of God's revelation to us will be incredibly useful as a way to "fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen."

OK, I trust God, even as I deliver a sermon.  God had something to say, and perhaps it had nothing to do with the challenge I considered delivering.  But now I mention it for your consideration today. 

Have you ever written out what your experience with God's call on your life?  I recommend it - it will be a handy document when times get tough.

Like what you are reading? Consider the following:

1. Subscribe to my blog (there is a link for that on this page).
2. "Follow" me on twitter. It's a free account, and a great way to meet like-minded friends. My link is: http://twitter.com/tommccomb.
3. Leave a comment (I love your candid feedback and might use your ideas in future posts)
4. Tell someone else about this blog.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment